Start date: 16 May 2023
Duration: 12 Weeks - One 3 hour lecture every Tuesday (16th May - 1st Aug)
Certificate: Professional Diploma from UCD
Cost: €950 (Non Subsidised Fee €1,700)
Course code: N/A
Delivered by the UCD Professional Acadamy, this practical course is a great introduction to the key themes and concepts of cybersecurity and uses real-world examples to teach methods that you can immediately apply at work or home. By learning to think like a hacker, you’ll understand how tools such as ethical hacking, digital forensics, and open-source intelligence can be used to defend against cybercrime. You will also learn to manage incidents and recover after a breach
This course will help you explore the main themes in cyber and information security. This is an intensive course covering a wide range of security concepts on identifying risk and securing digital assets. You will learn about the methods attackers use to break into networks and prey on individuals.
If an attack or breach does occur, you will learn how organisations plan for, recover and minimise the impact. You will become familiar with pen testing, digital forensics, opensource intelligence and other resources used in the attack and defence of cybercrime.
By the end of the course, you will have the knowledge and tools to adequately assess your exposure to cybersecurity threats, identify them and put a plan in place to minimise or eliminate the risk.
This course is for those who wish to learn how to prevent cybersecurity attacks. For those who wish to pursue a security role, it will help guide you to the next step of your cybersecurity career.
Upon satisfactory completion of this workshop you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of and apply key (fundamental) concepts and principles in network application and mobile security.
Identify security threats to, and weaknesses of, network solutions and deployments—both external and internal.
Demonstrate an understanding of the evolution of the internet, cryptography and authentication.
Analyse the capabilities of network protection, threat remediation solutions and managing incidents.
Define and enforce risk assessment, compliance, auditing and policy updates.
Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental concepts of penetration testing and ethical hacking.
Demonstrate and understanding of the concepts of digital forensics and opensource intelligence.
Who Is This Course For?
You will need to have an interest in cybersecurity and information security generally and familiarity
with basic related concepts. No specific technical knowledge is required, as this course will provide
you with the skills to reduce your personal or professional exposure to cyber risk and attacks. This
course will also introduce you to the many roles and career paths available in cybersecurity.
1. Threat Landscape – Introduction to course. Overview of current threat
landscape. Identifying threats and protecting assets. Confidentiality, Integrity & Availability.
2. Cryptography – History of cryptography, examples, exercises.
3. Passwords & Authentication – Securing access, MFA and password cracking.
4. Malware – Malicious Software, viruses, antivirus, ransomware, notable attacks.
5. Networking & Communications – Evolution of the internet and computer networking.
6. Network, Application & Mobile Security – Threat detection, mitigation & protection. OWASP top 10.
7. Risk Management – Risk, Threats, Vulnerabilities, Risk Assessment & Mitigation.
8. Introduction to Penetration Testing – History of hacking and ethical hacking. Overview of methods, tools & resources. Demonstration & examples.
9. Digital Forensics – Introduction to digital forensics and eDiscovery including preservation of evidence.
10. Opensource Intelligence (OSINT) & Social Engineering – How to find freely available information on individuals/organisations and protect yourself from identity fraud.
11. Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery – Planning for incidents and recovery. From natural disasters, data breaches & pandemics. Managing incidents.
12. Compliance, Certifications & Resources – Overview of industry Information Security Management System (ISMS) frameworks. Review of personal cybersecurity and informationsecurity training and certifications. Build on learning with free tools and resources.