Start date: 16 February 2022
Duration: Run over two semesters, one Wednesday a week (6pm - 8pm)
Certificate: QQI Level 6
Course code: N/A
Transferrable across multiple sectors including Fintech, Engineering, Energy, Food, Transportation, Logistics & Supply Chain Management, Blockchain is viewed as a disruptive technology with the potential to revolutionise industry. By harnessing it's potential, Blockchain will greatly enhance digital transformation, driving innovation and competitiveness.
The program consists of two semesters, semester one "Introduction to Blockchain" details the fundamentals of the technology with semester two "Blockchain Application" outlining how the technology can be applied. The program has a significant applied focus with guest lecturing and case studies a focus of the learning activity.
A key focus of this introductory program is the removal of entry level barriers, leaving cert or relevant industry experience is sufficient. By widening the pool of knowledge and demystifying the technology the overall goal is to drive innovation through understanding.
This program was developed in conjunction with Dundalk Chamber Skillnet, DkIT and the Fintech Corridor. Program content has been heavily influenced by Industry through intensive engagement.
On completion of the training programme, participants will:
Module 1: Blockchain Essentials
- Identify blockchain characteristics in a given setting.
- Analyse existing blockchain applications according to a given context.
- Critically evaluate crytography features in a blockchain application and identify crucial security in a blockchain.
- Differentiate decentralised autonomous systems, such as distributed ledgers suitable to a given blockchain application.
Module 2: Blockchain Application
- Identify the main features of common blockchain platforms
- Analyse how a Blockchain application is built on and managed through a platform.
- Critically evaluate existing Blockchain applications in different settings.
This is an introductory program suitable for all personnel directly involved in the business / processes and interested in gaining knowledge in an emerging technology area.
Leaving Cert – Grade D in 5 subjects
Mature applicants (over 23 years) with appropriate work experience. Interviews may apply to all mature students without qualifications
Semester 1 – Module 1: Blockchain Essentials
This module introduced the essential Blockchain Characteristics and addresses the fundamental features of Blockchain Technology / DLT and Bitcoin.
Introduction to Blockchain
- Blockhain Terminologies
- Distinction between databases and blockchain ledger.
- Crypography, hash functions and digital signatures
- Principles and paradigms of distributed systems Blockchain consensus algorithms
- Blockchain Structure
- Types of Blockchain
Semester 2 – Module 2: Blockchain Application
This module explores Blockchain platforms, with particular focus on the details of Ethereum Blockchain. The underlying structure of smart contracts will be considered.
- Current Blockchain Platforms
- Ethereum Blockchain
- Elements, advantage and use of Smart Contracts.
- Blockchain based application – ecommerce, social communications, internet of things, storage, data API
- Blockchain based application in FinTech – Digital Identity, Auditing, Asset Trading, Bank Clearance